Sodium To Magnesium (Na/Mg) Ratio
The sodium to magnesium ratio is referred to as the adrenal gland ratio because sodium levels are directly associated with adrenal gland function. Aldosterone is a mineral corticoid adrenal hormone that regulates the retention of sodium. The higher the sodium level, the higher the aldosterone level as a general rule.
The sodium to magnesium ratio is a measurement of energy output because the adrenal glands are a major regulator, along with the thyroid gland of the rate of metabolism.
The ideal sodium to magnesium ratio is 4.17 to 1.
The sodium to potassium (Na/Mg) ratio is a tissue reading and will often not match blood tests for adrenal hormones. Usually the blood test will be “normal” but the tissue mineral will reveal abnormal adrenal function. Symptoms usually correlate well with hair analysis.
Sodium levels can be elevated by the presence of the metals of cadmium, mercury, copper, iron, manganese and nickel. An excess of any pf these minerals will affect the sodium tissue level temporarily – so that the adrenal function may actually be slow. In HTMA testing and analysis, we always look at every HTMA chart for the presence of these metals when evaluating the adrenal ratio. Rarely, magnesium or sodium may be lost through the hair, causing a false reading.
Symptoms Of Under Active Adrenal Glands Include:
- Fatigue (unexplained)
- Stamina diminished
- Poor digestion, with an diminished ability to tolerate fats and meat protein
- Weight fluctuations
Symptoms Of Overactive Adrenal Glands Include:
- Increased stamina and drive
- Tendency to inflammation or inflammatory reactions
- Type A personality
Trends Associated With The Sodium To Magnesium (Na/Mg) Ratio:
- 16 or more is an extremely fast adrenal ratio – energy less than 25%.
- 8 to 16 is a moderately fast adrenal ratio – energy at 50%.
- 4.17 to 8 mile is a fast adrenal ratio – energy at 75%.
- 4.17 means ideal with energy at 100%.
- 2 to 4.17 is mildly slow adrenal ratio – energy at 75%.
- 1 – 2 is a moderately slow ratio – energy at 50%.
- Less than 1% is an extremely slow metabolism adrenal ratio – energy at 25%.